Wednesday, May 17, 2006

While my mother waters plants, my father loads his gun...

As I laid on an a operating table in a cold room, the anesthesiologist said "Ok Ronnie Im going to give it to you, take deep breaths". And then, in what felt like a few moments, I was awake in another room, my knee all wrapped up and a nurse attending to me. It was weird because I had no recollection of falling asleep or anything that had happened from that time to when I had woken up. I just knew that my knee was very sore.

I started to think about how if I had died on that operating table I would not have been prepared for it. Not that anybody is really ever prepared for death, but I always figured that if a doctor told me I was going to die that I would begin to reflect on my life or perhaps change the way I lived it during my last days. You know do all these exciting crazy things that I don't have time for right now, and to make sure my family and friends knew that I loved them. I would at least come to terms with my mortality, and hopefully find peace in knowing that I was leaving this world to join a far greater one.

Then there are those extreme moments when we think we might possibly die, where they say our "life flashes before our eyes", at those moments any variety of things could cross our mind, but I didn't even have time for that. Now, obviously, arthroscopic knee surgery does not have a high mortality rate but anytime you are put to sleep there is a level of risk that you might not wake up. I wasn't really worried that anything would happen, but it's a little scary to think that your life could be over in a second and there's nothing you could do to stop it. I guess it shows that life really is that fragile, so we need to live it with purpose and remember to tell the ones we love that we love them, and to go out and experience a few crazy things...

No comments: