Friday, April 27, 2007

The road outside my house is paved with good intentions...

I drove by a church the other day and the sign in front said "Be an organ donor, give your heart to Jesus", then today I saw one that said "The Bible is God's mapquest". Why does Christianity have to be a catch phrase? And not even a cool catch phrase, we have to be lame. Seriously, we have so much commercialized cheesy crap that I bet Jesus looks down from Heaven and is embarrassed. I mean the man suffered on a cross and how do we repay Him, by sticking His face on every product imaginable. He died for an uncool group people. Now, don't go "super Christian" on me, I realized He died for all regardless of class or race, but let's be real people, why do we have to turn Jesus into a commodity or a one-liner? Ironic that other religions don't do this. I mean I can't wait for my Mohammed night-lite or my Ghandi bubble gum.

On another note, this past week has been interesting in regards to my job situation, which is that right now there is nothing, but I have an odd peace about it. I had it out with the Lord last week about the future and where I might end up, and His answer was to give me this weird peace. I guess that's part of having faith and patience, but I'm kind of worried He might stick somewhere worse then Arizona, like the Midwest where it gets ungodly cold. I could just ignore him and go my own way but then He might pull a Jonah on me and I'd get swallowed by a whale, which would be an amazing story, but who wants that??

6 comments:

nikki })i({ said...

HEY! Comparing the Midwest to Ninaveh...that's just not right! There's some good things there.

Keith said...

Ronnie, its been too long man. And I agree with you completely. Sometimes, a lot of times, Christianity is not about the faith you have in your heart, but the bumper-sticker on your car, or sweatshirt you wear when its cold (thank you Pine Summit.) Anyway, its hard not to become angry at such things. Then you remember that we're imperfect people trying to live out the will of a Perfect God.

aziner said...

. . . hired a construction crew 'cause it's hell on the engine (love that song)

Okay first of all, the Midwest is awesome. :P

I think it's largely American Christianity that does that because about 50 years ago we got scared that the outside world was going to start ruining us so we withdrew and created our own Christian sub-culture. Other religions and Christians outside the U.S. don't do that because they haven't created an entire sub-culture. They don't have to recreate and spiritualize everything in pop culture because they aren't afraid of it.

aziner said...

thankfully Hollywood doesn't exist in the hallowed lands known to common men as the Midwest. though that means I have to live here as it's quite difficult to work in film where it does not exist

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to post on this one because I have a feeling I'm going to be kinda everywhere. I see what you're saying, and I agree with you...to a point. You won't see pictures of Mohammed because it's considered a sin and irreverent to a Muslim. Ghandi isn't a leader of Hinduism but of peace, and in India I saw pictures of his face on bumper stickers....probably not as often but that probably has more to do with the fact that there aren't as many luxuries in India in general. But if you want to see other religions abuse of their resources take a moment to check out the temples in India where they spend millions while people are dying on the streets. Check out the gluttonous acts during Ramadan. We're broken people. I think it's a beautiful thing that we have the freedom in Christ to work out our salvation and try to figure out what it means to be a follower of Christ. We will make mistakes along the way. It's really easy to get frustrated and want to separate yourself from the church in the West, but how easy is it to love Her and still press on in love and truth?

Keith said...

Ronnie, you're going to be out here at the end of May? (as noted on Cooper's blog) Dude, we need to hang out. Drop a msg on my blog and I'll give you my cell #. Peace.