Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I don't wanna read the book, I'll watch the movie...

So I was asked by one of my readers why I haven't posted anything in a while, and I guess I just really haven't had much to say lately. But for my inquisitive caring friend here is a blog of what's be on my mind lately.

So gay marriage has been a hot topic for a while now, and the conservative right wing never ceases to amaze me. Without a doubt I believe homosexuality is sin because God created man to be with woman, but I'm not here to debate that, it's just my beliefs, and if others don't agree that's cool because I don't really care. What I do care about is the way that Christians treat people who are homosexuals. It seems that homosexuality has been voted the worst sin of all time by contemporary Christianity. I don't know exactly when the vote was held, but I'm pretty sure it won. Christians will interact with almost any other type of person: a thief, an adulterer, a liar, even murderers, but if they run into a homosexual, oh NO! get away from me. It's like gays are the new lepers. Anyway, this possible constitutional ban on gay marriage just puzzles me because people act like the Constitution is divinely written like the Bible. I thought the constitution was written to protect people regardless of race, religion etc, but it can't protect the rights of gays? That's ridiculous. Now I remind you that the Constitution is not the Bible, and don't give me that crap about America being built on Christian values. If America really cared about Christian values, and Christians cared about the value of marriage then they would get rid of divorce. How many Christians get divorced each year? How many cheat on their spouses? And we're worried about gay people destroying the sanctity of marriage? That's BULLSHIT!!! Yeah, you read that, I said Bullshit. I'm tired of the super conservatives making Christianity look ignorant. I'm tired of Jerry Fallwell attacking the Telly Tubbies and Harry Potter. And most importantly I'm tired of people seeing Bush as some medium by which God speaks and acts. I don't doubt the President's relationship with God, but just because he's a Christian doesn't make all his decisions divine. Can't we be a group of people who seek to build relationships with those that don't know God? Why can't we do this? Why must we alienate and condemn those whom we don't understand? Jesus hung out with the worst people because he knew they needed Him the most. I wish the Bible had a story of Christ hanging out with a gay person because maybe that would have helped, but I doubt it...

5 comments:

aziner said...

Even in my infinite wisdom this is such a large topic for me to comment on, but I will do my best. ;) Okay from here on I will be serious in this comment. You bring up two huge issues in this post that I feel are best dealt with separately. First, how the church deals with homosexuals. I think you are right the the church has taken it upon itself to categorize sins and has found homosexuality to be among the worst. Why? Well as I so eloquently argued in a History of Christianity final two years ago, I believe this is because it is such a visible sin. Those who are “true” to the homosexual lifestyle do not hide it, some are accused of flaunting it even, but for many homosexuals this is as much a part of who they are as their height or skin color or hair color and as visible. What kind of church that adheres to the truth of God’s word would accept such a sinner? This is the issue. If homosexuality were as easy to hide as compulsive lying or cheating or any other kind of sin, then it would be my guess that the church would not react so violently to it. If everyone who walked into church carried a sign proclaiming the sins they most struggle with then it is likely that no one would be let in. The major issue is that the church has taken it upon itself to categorize sins. Lying is not as bad as stealing, but stealing is not as bad as having an affair, but having an affair . . . And it goes on. Sin is sin and it is God’s job to decide who is to be condemned and who is not and the church has to remember that. It should be the church’s goal to allow as many people as possible inside its doors and let God sort it out in the end. This is not to suggest that the church should accept homosexuality, but only to say that it should accept homosexuals- loving the sinner, but hating the sin.

As for the issue of gay marriage, this is even more difficult. I do not think that it should be made legal. Yes, there are other things in our society as damaging to the value of marriage and Christians are guilty of all of them, but just because we have screwed up and allowed all these things to creep in and we are no better than our secular counterparts does not mean that we cannot take a stand now. Better late than never I'd say. If we continue to let the value of marriage degrade, where does it stop? Just because we've screwed up doesn't mean we can't say, hold on enough is enough. If it's ever going to turn around we have to put a stop to it at some point. Why not start now? I'm no expert, so I don't have a lot of facts to back up my desire to ban gay marriage and I think it is a difficult stance for the church to take. How can a homosexual feel loved by a group of people who would prevent him/her from enjoying this "basic freedom"? I honestly do not know, but just because it's difficult does not mean we should back down. The things most worth fighting for are often the most difficult. So this has been really long. Hopefully I've made some sense and maybe pushed a few buttons . . .

aziner said...

Oh, and thanks for the Switchfoot title. You went all the way old school, I'm impressed. :)

andrea said...

haha..sorry when i read your comment i started to laugh. no i did not write that song it's by blue rodeo..you never heard of them nor the song? oh my its a great song i suggest you download it right away!

andrea said...

oh and about your blog i agree with it 110%. i mean here in canada homosexuals can get married but you are right Christians are going crazy, they are acting like its the end of the world. but if you think about it if its not canada or the states then they will just get married somewhere else, and its not as if getting married is stopping them from doing what they do.

aziner said...

Gay marriage is about a whole lot more than just sex. Andrea is right that we can't stop homosexuals from engaging in those acts. But for the state to recognize gay marriage means among other things that companies who offer say health benefits for spouses of their employees would then have to offer the same privileges to homosexual couples. That does seem the fair thing to do. But what about a company that is founded by a person (Christian or not) who happens to believe that homosexuality is wrong? That person is now forced to award benefits to a person for engaging in a lifestyle with which he disagrees. Like I said I don't know all the facts, but I'm fairly certain that an employer would not be able to deny benefits to a homosexual couple without facing a hefty lawsuit. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but the bottom line is that this issue has larger ramifications that ultimately complicate the separation of church and state. Say a person does not want to award benefits to a homosexual couple for religious reasons, the state is going to come in and tell him that he cannot do that. He's not allowed to fire the person, so then what? And as completely horribly as the majority of Christians have handled this issue, I get quite frustrated that they are 100% the bad guys in this issue. Everyone jumps to defend the rights of homosexuals, but what about the rights of religious-minded individuals? If someone doesn't accept what they believe to be a sin and endorse the state's acceptance of it then they are horrible right wing close minded red state living idiots? It should go both ways, we should be concerned about both sides and for some reason it doesn't seem that anyone is. And that's fine, persecution even to this tiny degree is part of the territory, but it would be nice if Christians would stop persecuting other Christians because they are more conservative than others. And I totally went off on a tangent there, so I'm done for now.