Sunday, November 20, 2005

Rising up against this wickedness...

I think one of the most frustrating things in a relationship, whether it's just friendship, dating, or whatever, is when it seems that only one of the people involved puts forth any real effort in keeping it going. It bothers me when it seems like I always have to be the one to initiate contact, especially now that I live in another state far away from most of my friends. I realize that people are busy with work, school, and everything else that goes on in life, but at the same time how long does a phone call or an email take to someone who you really care about? I guess I'm just one of those people that will put those other things on hold because my friends are something I hold dearly to my heart. I'm not really close with a lot of my family outside of my immediate family, and so I see my friends as family.

I just get really frustrated because I'm always the one who calls and makes plans, and I always get bailed on. What's the point of putting forth the effort if is not returned? It's especially hard with people whom I've been friends with a long time and it just seems like our friendship doesn't matter enough for them to make a reasonable effort. I don't know, maybe I'm over-reacting but I just see myself as a very loyal friend and l feel like Im fighting a lost cause...

9 comments:

b said...

i hope things work out :-/

b said...

ps: am i a bad friend? i don't call you because i talk too much and i always call you during meetings. hmm...

raj said...

I feel ya, pal. I don't have any advice for you, but I feel ya.

Anonymous said...

i hear you Ronnie. as i read your post i thought about how good a friend you are. You are a faithful friend and i hope that those who get to hang out with you these days see that.
Remember that time we went to Coldstone and that homeless guy asked for some money for some food and you offered him you icecream and he didn't want to eat after you...
i hope you're doing good man.
nate

Ms. McGowan said...

Amen, Ronnie. It's frustrating to always be on the giving side of friendships. Sadly, I've given up on a few of those friends. When I went to River City a few weeks ago, I realized that only a few of those friends are the kind who are going to hang around; friendships that I though were significant have transpired as "seasonal" frienships. They seem to have moved on--I'm trying. I guess I still don't understand why we can't preserve our friendships; it's so lame.

Ms. McGowan said...

thought, not though

Pete said...

Hey Ronnie. How have you been? We don't have internet in our apartment so i'm sitting in Wanda's and it's the first time in months that i've been able to read everyone's blogs. What's new?

Ms. McGowan said...

Inernet in the ol' Wanda's?! Amazing.

meagan marie said...

I tracked you down!! ha ha! I actually looked at tyler's site to find sherry's site, to find Pieter's site, to find yours, so you should feel loved! It was great seeing you this weekend! Sorry i didnt get to say bye! how did your guys do? Did you hear we won?!?