Tuesday, December 13, 2005

God showers blessings on the righteous and the wicked, I only know that covers me...

Sometimes I question if God knows what he's doing. Certain things happen and all I can do is question if His divinely infinite mind is making the right decisions. Last year, some old college friends of mine who are amazing believers were only a few days away from having their first child, when she had a miscarriage and had to deliver a dead child. What is the purpose of that? Why bring such pain to a couple who are devout followers and were completely engulfed by the joy that comes with having a child? And what about Alzhemiers disease? The disease which could possibly be the worst because it causes one to forget everything. Your childhood memories, your name, and worst of all the very people who love you. The stories I hear from people who have family members suffering from this disease are some of the saddest I've ever heard. Why are drunk drivers the ones who always live? How can it be that so many children suffering from hunger and abuse? I guess I just wonder about the whole concept of evil, and why bad things happen to good people. I understand that we are responsible for bringing sin into the world and that all this hurt is caused by it, but sometimes I just wish these bigger hurts could be handled by God in such a way that it world completely shake and change the world; and so I hope.

Deep in my soul I know that God's hand is working in all of these things even if I can't see it, but it's just hard sometimes to deal with it. I know that His mind is infinite and mine is finite, and I will never really understand, and honestly I don't know if I would want to, but sometimes it's just so disheartening to see the pain around me and not be able to do anything about it. Feeling powerless and crying out to a God who has allowed it to happen in His supreme insight just seems pointless, but I know that one day it will all end, and I hope that day is soon; and so I hope...

3 comments:

b said...

i don't really agree with you on the part that "God;s hand is working through things" i don't think God plans bad things but i do know he is still there...hmm i am not thrilled about bad things happening, but you can't change them so questioning the bad thing kind of prevents you from moving forward... what has brought me peace anyhow.. is that yeah, bad things happen to bad people and good people alike and the fact that it happens to everyone shows how perverted the world is, and so i guess it sort of provokes more interest in the metaphysical. i know what you mean ronnie. oh yeah also.. bad things offer more of a contrast to good things... so you can hold a greater appreciation i guess. for example, you are a great friend! i know i am really super weird and you are a good person for hanging there with me. plus you are too cute! i hope you are having a great day, and i am sorry if this message is long!

-bri

raj said...

if God prevented the worst things from happening, would evil really be that bad? would sin and death be anything more than inconvenience if we were sheltered from the pain of the most horrific?

and yet we wonder, like the people in the Bible, what sins people have committed to deserve the tragedies in their lives. they asked the blind man whether he sinned or if it was his parents. we ask about the young couple and a miscarriage. there is nothing. there is nothing that they or anyone could have done to deserve that. we seek to understand, as if that would make everything better, but even Jesus, the son of God, the omniscient . . . even Jesus wept at the death of his friend Lazarus, and he cared for people because they were "harrassed and helpless like sheep without a shepherd." even understanding, it seems, does not make it hurt less.

intellectually, we can chalk tragedy up to how far the world has fallen. the gene pool has been infected by death, malformity, cancer, and degeneration. emotionally, though, it hurts. it kills. but we can find some small measure of comfort in knowing that one day we will be in a place where there is no more sorrow, no more pain, a place where parents and children and husbands and wives and friends who were all separated in the life before will walk hand-in-hand forever. God be with you and your friends as you mourn. be there for them. often friends are better than answers.

Pete said...

Hey good to see you still talk to Bri. Anyway bud, i'm on my way to ft. Worth to see my dad (he moved in Sept) and we have a half hour layover in Pheonix so you'd better drive fast so we can have a quick beer here at the airport.

Really though, i was thinking that i miss you a lot man. I hope i get to hang out with you pretty soon.