Sunday, January 15, 2006

When I say "shotgun", you say "wedding"...

As I sat on my friend's porch tonight smoking a nice cigar, I watched as the clouds swayed across a moonlit sky. I saw many different clouds that formed many different shapes: faces, a truck, a bus, a flower, and so on and so on. Everytime I turned away from the sky and then looked back the clouds had moved and my shape was gone. As I stared out into the glossy gray night I realized that this is one of the "small things" in life I enjoy, and that for some time now I had not been paying attention. It seems that lately I've been missing the smaller things in life, or at least not appreciating them. It really is the small things that matter because they are particularly important to me, and I don't necessarily need anyone else to enjoy them, although sharing with others can be nice as well.

Shapes in the clouds, a starry sky, a cool breeze, a warm hug, a smile from a pretty stranger, a light rain, a sunset, crisp ocean water between my toes, the smell of the forest, a backscratch, a phone call, brownies, a postcard, a nice walk, laying in the grass, the sound of playing catch, a crackling fire, a good cigar, a comfy chair, people watching, a lost friendship renewed, comfortable silence...

1 comment:

nikki })i({ said...

Raindrops on roses and wiskers on kittens...birght copper kettles and warm wollen mittens...brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things.

Funny that it's in those moments that we enjoy life the most, but we don't stop to have them you know?