Saturday, November 06, 2004

Putting the "Self" in selfish...

Sometimes I feel like I really have grown and matured as a person, and then there are other times when I wonder how I've made it this far under my own ignorance. The other day I went to a friends apartment for a dinner party, and I had to park far away. I was upset because I had to walk a long distance carrying bags of soda. As I'm griping about how much this sucks I look over at one of the apartments and I see a lady in a wheelchair staring out at the street. She looked zoned out in her own little world. Her eyes were glazed over, and she just kept staring at the street. I stopped for a minute and continued to watch her. I then came to the realization that this lady would like nothing more than to walk the street, sidewalk, or anywhere for that matter. It wouldn't matter how far she walked or what she had to carry just so long as she got to do it again. And here I am bitchin' about how I have to walk an extra block.
Walking seems like such a simple thing, not something to ever give an extra thought about, but to this lady walking would be the world. I take stuff like this for granted because I'm so used to it. I've become comfortable in my little routine, and I don't appreciate the things I have. I should feel blessed every day that I'm still breathing, walking, eating... Instead I worry about crap that doesn't really matter like what I'm going to wear, what am I doing this weekend, what CD will I buy next. God has blessed me with so much, but still I show no gratitude because I expect things to be this way, but I deserve nothing...

No comments: